If you have bought a bag of apples and don’t know what to do with it, why not make an apple cake!
Here is a version we love, and hoping you would too. It’s super easy.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius 10 minutes in advance. Lightly oiled the cake pan with oil.
- Beat the margarine, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder, and add to the mix.
- Place about one third of the mixture into the tin (#cookingtips : smooth the surface with the back of a wet spoon!)
- Toss the apple slices in lemon juice – and place it compactly on top of the cake mixture. Sprinkle the cinnamon evenly ; layer by layer as you create that thick layer of apple.
- Spread the remaining of the mixture, making sure you cover the apples completely. Smooth the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until well risen and golden. Toss the cake around and leave it out to cool. Serve with vanilla ice-cream!
75g margarine (softened)
75g fine sugar (with a little extra for sprinkling if you want! )
120g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs beaten
~1/2 kg apples – peeled, cored and sliced
Cinnamon powder (sprinkle as much as you like on the apples!)